Home               About                Treats               Cut-out Treats               Frozen Treats               Mochi

Monday, December 5, 2011

Pigs-in-a-blanket for Dogs

"This little piggy went to market. This little piggy went to town. This little piggy had roast beef,This little piggy had none. And this little piggy went wee wee wee all the way home - into Mochi's belly."

Pigs-in-a-blanket is one of my favorite appetizers/breakfast. It's so easy to make with Pillsbury crescent rolls and some cheddar mini sausages. Of course, I would never feed the things I eat to Mochi. I saw these graduates meat sticks when I was in the baby food aisle and the ingredients are better than those found in sausages that we eat. I looked up a pigs-in-a-blanket from scratch recipe to make my own dough. I omitted ingredients that aren't good for dogs (salt, sugar, butter) to make this healthy treat.

INGREDIENTS:
(7-8 pigs-in-a-blanket)
  • 1 C. whole wheat flour (regular or white)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp honey
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 C. grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/3 C. water
  • 2.5 oz jar of Gerber Graduates Lil' Sticks Meat (7 pieces)
DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil.
2. Sift the dry ingredients (flour through baking powder) into a mixing bowl
3. Add honey, olive oil, cheddar cheese, and water. Mix well and knead into dough ball.
4. Roll dough onto a rectangle surface (I used my 9 x 7 cutting board). Trim sides to get a rectangle.

5. Slice into fours then diagonally to make 8 triangles.


6. One at a time, roll up the sausages in the triangles. Place pointy side down on greased cookie sheet.


8. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, until golden brown.



STORAGE:

After cooled, place in airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Waiting until cooled is an important step; condensation can build and the moisture will cause treats to mold. Shorter shelf life because of meat stick.

Tip: Write date on plastic bag to keep track of expiration date.

1 comment:

  1. Great recipe! I will surly try this one for Freddie and Gloria.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...