|Aypples and Ban-nay-nays|
Fall is the season for apple picking. I went apple picking 2 weeks ago and brought home 10 lbs of apples.... for myself. What is a girl and a pup gonna do with 10 lbs of apples? I made a Caramel Apple Pie for myself and a Apple & Banana Mini Pie for Mochi. Give these dog treats sparingly... I fed mochi a whole mini pie yesterday and let's just say the poopy bag was a tad heavy today.
Mochi's verdict: She likes to oat oat oat o-ppals and ban-no-nos.
- 1 1/4 C. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 C. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 C. skim milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 banana
- 1 apple, chopped into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tbsp skim milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix whole wheat pastry flour and parmesan cheese.
3. Add egg, milk, and oil. Stir.
4. Knead the dough.
5. Roll out dough to less than 1/4''.
6. Use a 5'' circle cookie cutter or glass to cut circles. (~10 circles, 5 for bottoms 5 for tops or 10 topless pies)
|Ee-pples and Ban-nee-nees|
7. Press into muffin tins. Prick bottom of pie crust with a fork.
8. Bake pie crusts for 10 minutes.
9. Take out of oven and let the pie crusts cool.
10. Next on to the filling: put banana, apple, egg, and milk into a food processor or blender.
11. Put the filling in after pie crust cools.
12. Add designs to pie crust tops (mini apple cookie cutter, lattice, etc.)
13. Lay pie crusts on top. Trim edges and press dough to adhere to crust side walls.
14. Bake for 25 minutes.
Voila! Home made apple & banana pie dog treats!
Due to the fruit filling, store in an airtight container for no more than 2 days at room temperate, in a refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze up to 3 months.